The Marine Department takes a prime concern about the protection of privacy in relation to personal data. We respect personal data and are committed to fully implementing and complying with the data protection principles and all relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
Purpose and Types of Data Collection
We collect personal information which may include name, HKID No., mailing address, etc for one or more of the following purposes:
- processing of your requests such as application or registration for the Services;
- handling of port formalities required by Marine Department and other government departments such as the Department of Health and the Immigration Department;
- general inspection to ensure compliance of marine legislation;
- investigation of marine casualties;
- prosecution of marine offences committed in the waters of Hong Kong;
- prosecution of offences under Ordinance related to Department of Health;
- for applications concerning Immigration Department, please refer to http://www.immd.gov.hk .
Retention of Personal Data
The information is used by us only for the purposes stated in Purpose and Types of Data Collection above and/or in the respective screens/forms and such data will not be retained once the required action is completed.
Disclosure of Personal Information
The information relating to you will be kept confidential but we may disclose your personal data to :
- other Government departments, court of justice, bureaus and other relevant organizations for the purposes mentioned in Purpose and Types of Data Collection above;
- other interested parties with your prior consent; and
- other certain parties, without your prior consent, if the purpose of release falls within the exemptions set out in the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
To ensure security and confidentiality of personally identifiable information collected on-line, we have adopted the following measures:
- the Registered Users Area of our Portal supports Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol and data transmitted to and from it are being protected by 128-bit encryption technology; and
- our web servers are protected behind “firewalls” and our systems are monitored to prevent any unauthorized access. We will not send any personally identifiable information to you by ordinary email.
Protect Your Password
You should keep your Portal user ID and password strictly confidential to safeguard yourself. When choosing your password, do not use any easily identifiable or associated information such as telephone number, facsimile number or dictionary words and so forth. To ensure password security, you are required to change password when you logon the first time and thereafter every 90 days.
Use of “Cookies”
Right of Access and Correction
You have the right to request access to and correction of personal data held by us.